You can never be too prepared. And with the BAM Jam tournament just a month away, St. Luke’s wants to help you get ready. Here is a great workout that anyone can do to get in shape and be ready to perform their best. And stay tuned for more great workouts!
Week One: Preparation for Game Day
Are you ready to:
- Improve your acceleration and speed around the court.
- Improve your range of shots and passes.
- Improve your explosive power – in particular your vertical jump.
If you have not been exercising you should check with a physician before starting your program. Build your fitness so you can keep up with the game.
Basketball is about quick bursts of speed. You can improve your ability to move the ball, and to adjust quickly between offensive posture and defensive posture. We start today with a few strengthening and endurance activities and all you need is a ball and your own body weight.
If you haven’t been doing much, start with intervals of 10 seconds for each exercise and build as you get into better shape. Allow 30-60 second rest between exercises.
- Body Weight Circuit 2 x :45 sec each
- Basketball Push-ups (Both hands on the ball)
- Mountain Climbers
- Wall Sits
- Bench Dips
- Side Lunge
- Basketball Push-up (Left hand on ball, push-up, roll ball to right hand and do another push-up)
- Squat Jumps
Exercise program provided by Kevin Taylor, MS, ATL, ATC. Head Athletic Trainer for the Idaho Stampede